You need to be logged in to request objects.
Please click here to log in or register.
Try Our Search

English & Languages


Postcards of Tauranga HC151/1-8
Browse by Category
English & LanguagesEnglish & Languages
Maori & PacificaMaori & Pacifica
Maths & StatisticsMaths & Statistics
PE & HealthPE & Health
ScienceScience
Social ScienceSocial Science
TechnologyTechnology
The ArtsThe Arts


Postcards of Tauranga HC151/1-8

Eight copies of Tauranga postcards with scenes of the township including the Tauranga wharf and The Strand. On reverse is handwritten correspondence including addresses and general information about family and life in Tauranga. One postcard includes a stamp.
These postcards were sent between the Goodyear sisters from 1907 into the 1920s. The sisters came from an prominent local family who moved from Maketu where Reverend Goodyear was the last missionary.

The first postal card was believed to have been sent in 1869. By the 1890s they were gaining mass popularity. The 'Real Photo' card emerged in the 1900s and in 1901 the term 'postcard' was first used.

date: 1907-1920s


maximum dimension:
 300mm

 

subject area: Social Science, English & Languages

 

subject themes: Tauranga, History, Development, Change, Communications

 

handling collection number: HC151/1-8

http://www.library.tauranga.govt.nz/historic-photographs/photo-gallery/tabid/393/AlbumID/973-74/Default.aspx

Postcards of Tauranga HC151/1-8
Help Click here for explanation of symbols
site maplegal information | login
evoSuite Tourism Marketing Software | Crafted with love by SquareCircle